cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Friday, August 31, 2007

did you know..........


that the United States called for an international postal congress, which was held in 1863.

This led Heinrich von Stephan, the German Minister for Posts, to found the Universal Postal Union, the second oldest international organization . It was created in 1874, under the name "General Postal Union", as a result of the Treaty of Berne signed on October 9th 1874. In 1878, the name was changed to "Universal Postal Union".

The UPU established that (1) there should be a more or less uniform flat rate to mail a letter anywhere in the world; (2) postal authorities should give equal treatment to foreign and domestic mail; and (3) each country should retain all monies it collected for international postage.

One of the most important results of the UPU treaty was that it ceased to be necessary, as it often had been previously, to affix the stamps of any country through which one's letter or package would pass in transit; the UPU provides that stamps of member nations are accepted for the whole international route.

Well I didn't until I read this at Wikipedia

Do you know how many member countries there are in the UPU? email me at cddstamps@gmail.com for the cover.. a nice one me thinks.. and please include your mailing address.

Finally.. did you look to see if you had a few $$$$ to spare to sponsor my A380 first flight.. No I hear you say.. well look again ... please see yesterdays piece for more details... There is still time to sponsor me... and no doubt get your name in lights at the same time

Have a great weekend.. and enjoy your stamps... Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!