cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Thursday, December 17, 2015



Hello, Nothing to do with Christmas tonight or general stuff but to my aviation them as I am thinking about flying in a few days. Not this type of plane I might add.!!!!!!

This stamps shows a Supermarine Sea Eagle. A British passenger plane from the 1920s. Obviously, as you can see from the image, it was a flying boat. It was built by the Supermarine Aviation Works for its subsidiary the British Marine Air Navigation company to be used on their cross-channel route between Southampton and the Channel Islands.

Quite an interesting history to this plane. Only three aircraft were built, G-EBFK, G-EBGR and G-EBGS. They were planned to be used on a service between Southampton and Guernsey and Jersey. The Guernsey route began on 25 September 1923. I don’t know about the Jersey route but I think it was around the same time. Anyway, this was the world's first scheduled passenger air service by flying boat. However, G-EBFK crashed on 21 May 1924 and then in January 1927, G-EBGS was lost when it was rammed by a ship in the harbor of St Peter Port in Guernsey. The third aircraft continued on the route until 1928.

Sadly the wooden hull of the surviving Sea Eagle, G-EBGR, was retained by Vickers until 1949, when they presented it to BOAC who, would you believe this, burnt it in 1954 because of a lack of storage space. Well now I know why I wanted to work for BEA! and not BOAC. :-)

The stamp is from the 1973 Jersey Aviation History issue. It shows G-EBFK.

Best wishes.. enjoy your stamps and your aviation. Only 5 more days until I get back in the air! oh and Merry Christmas to all my readers just I case I don't get time to write again in coming few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!