cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Friday, November 22, 2013



Hello, TGIF and here I finally am in front of the computer and wanting to write about stamps. What to write about. I was in a boring meeting today and started to think about what to write but nothing came to mind. But back in my apartment I found this.  A lovely cover from 1980, from Kenya. The stamp alone has a SG catalogue value of £2.50 so I assume a cover in this condition would be collectible. Something to add to my Bidstart store maybe, if I ever get time.

Anyway, I am showing it because I enjoy seeing anything Rowland Hill related.

As I am sure you all know, he was an English teacher and inventor. He campaigned for a comprehensive reform of the then postal system, that was back on the late 1830s in England.  His ideas led to the Penny Post, a prepayment for the delivery of letters. He served as a government postal official and is generally credited with originating the basic concept of the postal services we all know of today, including the invention of the postage stamp.

Without him I would not be writing!!!
have a great weekend.. Michael

PS click image to see larger view, and if you want to fill a gap in your collection I hope you visit http://www.cddstamps.com/bidstart_store.htm after you have looked at eBay prices and choices :-)  





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!