cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Saturday, April 04, 2009

IYA 2009


IYA is the International Year of Astronomy, and during 2009 there will be a year-long, worldwide, and often public celebration of astronomy, held to mark the 400th anniversary of Galileo turning a telescope to the sky.

I thought it would be interesting to show some stamps that have an astronomy theme. Maybe you have some that you can scan and email to me and I will show them.

One idea I have is to show a stamp from a different country every day for the next few weeks or so. And tonight I thought I'd start with this M/S from Alderney. Hope you like these. I had forgotten I had them until I looked through my albums. Issued in 1999 to commemorate the fact Alderney was one of the places in the world to see a total eclipse of the sun. No prizes, well maybe.. I'll see what I can find....... but does anyone know what Baily's Beads are.?? Enjoy your stamps; there is more to stamps than just the stamps themselves ...Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!