cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Tuesday, July 07, 2015


Hello again, since a few people wrote to me saying how they enjoyed the block I showed last night I thought I would show another.   This from the same issue, SG 1280. Again with very low cat value.   Issued 30 plus years ago and still in stunning condition. While I appreciate a very low face value it must have been issued in enormous quantities for it to not have had some appreciation.

Anyway this stone is Amethyst and one you probably know is very common in jewelry.  But did you know its name comes from ancient Greek and is a reference to the belief that the stone protected its owner from drunkenness. The ancient Greeks  apparently wore amethyst and decorated their drinking cups with it in the belief it would prevent intoxication.

Wow, think I might go jewelry shopping this weekend and see if it works!

Enjoy your stamps ...Michael   www,cddstamps.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!