cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Friday, March 09, 2018

Hello, I was in Manila these past few days and one "must do" was visit the Central Post Office. Apart from going there to get some stamps I also met a lovely man, a fellow collector. We both liked this beautiful sheet and I thought perhaps you would enjoy seeing it as well. It shows the evolution of the Jeep to todays modern version you see all over the Philippines. The four stamps in the issue show, left to right in a strip se-tenant are, the 1943 Willy Jeep, then the 1945 transformed Jeep, then the decorated Jeepney as it became known, and the fourth stamp shows what is called the modern jumbo Jeepney. The Jeepney was originally made from US military jeeps left over from World War II. As American troops began to leave the Philippines at the end of World War II, hundreds of surplus Jeeps were sold or given to local Filipinos. Locals stripped down the Jeeps to accommodate several passengers, added metal roofs for shade, and decorated the vehicles with vibrant colors and bright chrome hood ornaments. The word Jeepney is usually believed to come from the words "jeep" and "knee" because of the crowded seating, passengers must sit knee to knee. Hence, the word Jeepney. The stamps were issued in 2017. Rather nice to have in my collection, and for anyone wanting some, well the first 4 emails only, just email me at cddstamps@gmail.com. I can send four letters as I got an extra sheet. Best wishes enjoy your stamps Michael cddstamps.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!