cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Saturday, November 19, 2016




Hello,   How nice to get some comments from readers. One reader pointed out that the perforations were different on the stamps I showed the other night. Yes that was correct and I did not mention that did I, so to remedy that here are two more images and a few words on what to look for when it comes to trying to identify the stamps by the perforations.
First, just a reminder that I am only looking at the 2nd class self adhesive light blue stamps with elliptical perforations issued between 1993 – 2001.

The two perforations shown are the Enschede die-cut perforation on the bottom image (left stamp) and a Walsall die-cut perforation on the top image (right stamp). The difference is very obvious. The Enschede perforations are rounded and the Walsall perforations are square cut.

If readers have more precise details, rather than my general view, please let me know and I will share.

The challenge I have found sorting the 2nd Class self adhesive Light Blues is the number of varieties, given the number of printers, the paper types, gums, engraving methods, printing methods (ie Lithography or Photogravure),  different use and types of phosphor (for example the colour, position, width size, and colour intensity of the  bands) and the perforation sizes  -  and on the subject of perf sizes I have found over 100 perf 14½ by 14 but none are listed in any of my readings – thoughts????

Anyway, I am trying to compile for myself a listing that will allow me to catalogue used material, and create a small portfolio of (within reason)  some stamp varieties in used condition – Rather than just SG 1664, 1664a, 1665, 1620 and SG 2039 (It is a lot easier I think with Mint stamps if the stamps are in the original booklet. I may be crazy you are thinking but I think it would be nice to have for collectors. Anyway I have great sources to help me -  SG Concise, Deegams and perhaps the best as far as I am concerned given my scope, Great Britain Machins ( by “The Machin Nut”)

Anyone offer any further thoughts? (Polite ones please)   I have the 1st Class to do next!

Enjoy your stamps. Best wishes   Michael


cddstamps.com  -  where you can fill a few gaps in your Machin collection from the 1700 we have listed, with more to be listed as we get organised.

1 Comments:

At 3:45 AM, Blogger Ian - Norvic said...

The top image - the inverted stamp is almost certainly not self-adhesive but gummed, and have been guillotined at top, which indicates a booklet or mass-mailing house as the source.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!