cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Monday, February 25, 2013



Hello,  sorry not written for a few days. Been busy listing my Bidstart Store items.  see previous writings for details.

One subject comes to mind, are pen cancels collectable?  I have to say yes because I am listing some in my Bidstart Store,  but that is a yes with a proviso,  yes, provided the cancel, is not really damaging to the stamp(s). I have had so many where I really believe there is malicious behaviour on the part of the postal work, and as many of you will know I have vented my concern and frustration to the respective Post offices ( yes mostly Australian closely followed by Royal Mail)  They, the Post Office administration, don't care and never will and will never address the problem, so as one person said to me maybe pen cancels will be collectable.  What is your view? Would you collect a really nice clean copy if it just had a clean pen cancel through it?  See above for example.  And consider, there are probably not that many higher value stamps around..  as per above,  in postally used condition. Everything these day is Mint and wasting in collections :-)   seriously that is where the hobby is at for new issues, so to get a postal used copy, in whatever condition is probably worth having. My own collection is Used and it will stay that way.

Some thoughts?     I look forward to hearing from you  

Enjoy your stamps.... Michael                   www.cddstamps.com


3 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have saved damaged stamps in my collection rather than not have a stamp at all (until a copy could be acquired that is), so I would have no problem saving a good hand cancel, but a HORRID hand cancel that obscured the stamp would be a waste of my time and defeat the purpose of having the stamp in the first place, so a bad hand cancel would be a waste of everyones time and energy

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have saved damaged stamps into my collection, rather than not have a copy at all,(at least until a good copy could be acquired), so I would have no problems with saving a good clean hand cancel, but a horrid cancel that obscures the stamp would be a waste of my time, defeating the purpose of saving a stamp to begin with

 
At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My opinion is that they are totally unacceptable. They are not acceptable for exhibits. Pen cancels goes back to the days where regular stamps were used on documents in place of revenue stamps and were so cancelled.
Of course each person can decide what they want in their own collection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!