cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Friday, April 17, 2009

Isle of Man and Iceland - IYA 2009

Tonight’s stamps are from the Isle of Man and Iceland.

Yes I know I said H, but for the country I expected to show, Hungry, there is nothing on the Post Office website. Well not that I could make out. They don’t have an English version. What I have found out though is how good the websites are for so many Postal Administrations. Iceland is another that has a good site, well in my view.
The stamps though. I am only showing 1 of 6 issued by the Isle of Man. Actually their stamps commemorate 40th anniversary of the Apollo landings and they have dedicated two stamps to the IYA 2009 Europa issue. I only show one because quite frankly I thought I was looking at some Walt Disney stamps from some third world country. Sorry Isle of Man. Unimaginative design.

Now Iceland is something different again. Not my favourite of the IYA stamps I have seen so far but at least imaginative. Also, on the Iceland Post Office website there is a clear text that explains the reason for the two stamps. Here is a piece. ”The United Nations 62nd General Assembly proclaimed 2009 the International Year of Astronomy, celebrating the first astronomical use of the telescope by Galileo Galileo – a momentous event which initiated 400 years of astronomical discoveries. In that same year of 1609 Johannes Kepler introduced his first two laws of planetary motion. The work of Galileo and Keplers triggered a scientific revolution which profoundly changed humanity’s conception of the universe. So much we learn from our interest in stamps :-)
Enjoy your stamps……….. Michael

4 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Charlie said...

" ... So much we learn from our interest in stamps ... ".

When I was a tad younger I went to sea and there was often a discussion on the mess deck about different things which occasionally evolved into a dispute about some simple fact. Once it revolved around the names and sequence of the then some 35-36 presidents. During those years I always took my Harris Citation world wide stamp album along for the voyage which eventually grew into two very fat volumes. So I was able to open it to the page that held the US Presidential Series which ended the argument. This happened several times with some curious detail or other that was portrayed on a stamp issue but a failing memory only recalls the discussion about the presidents of the late 1800s.
Eventually when the world wide collection got transferred into a dozen Minkus Supreme Global binders it was too big to transport on and off ships conveniently so I quit the sea and got married.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger cddstamps said...

lovely story Charlie. Thanks for writing. Good to see you still read me.

Best wishes .. Michael

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous m. howell said...

about those images from Hungary . . .check the below link:

http://posta.hu/object.3954f243-4358-4b94-aa06-747eac6f2766.ivy

there is a link to a .STAMPS.pdf file that covers the 2009 releases by Magyar Post and it includes English text.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger cddstamps said...

Mike, many thanks... see tonights piece.. am goping to be mailing off to buy the M/S.. it is excellent I think.

Michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!