cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Wednesday, January 04, 2017


Hello, tonight another George VI variety. This from the 1939 – 48 issue of what is termed the High value definitive issue. Perhaps you all have copies of the basic set of 6 but the ones I think are worth having in your collection are the varieties of the 10s dark blue.

There are a few varieties or stamps with printing flaws as more commonly referred to.  This one is SG 478ac, scratch on stem flaw. The image from the SG catalogue shows the flaw. This copy is lightly mounted mint so the “value” is reduced considerably from the catalogue value of £350. Still it is a nice copy I think and one I am happy to own.

A little bit of trivia about the stamp.  SG478 was a recess printed stamp by Harrisons with a GviR crown watermark ,  issued in September 1939 and designed by The Hon. George Bellew.  Sadly for him I expect, he was tasked with overseeing the State Funeral of the King in 1952,

One quite noticeable feature of this issue is that the word Revenue is not on the stamp. If you look at previous GVI,  GV and QV  stamps I think you will find, with a few exceptions for the high value definitives, that the word Revenue always appeared. Perhaps interesting  how the word Revenue is included or excluded on future issues. Anyone know any rationale?

Enjoy your stamps

Michael  cddstamps.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!