cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Thursday, October 12, 2006

GB Penny Red with blued paper


Hello, something different tonight. I was sorting through some material people have sent me for a RR but since I had no takers for the RR I am going to auction this and various other lots ( money will go to IPDA by the way.. not me) and came across this rather grubby envelope... but with a lovely stamp on it and nice frankings on the reverse side of the envelope

You can clearly see the blued paper I think, even from this scan.



The franking is 28th August 1841, some 15 months after the first stamp issue - the penny black in May 1840.

I dont have time to check Alphabet, or Die and cannot see watermark but I would guess this is SG 8a .. Nice Rochdale franking and also Tarbert ( anyone know where that is??? )

There is also another cancellation in red which has the letters C 27 M in the middle - you can just make this out in the top right hand corner above - any experts out there that can help identify this?

For a prize tonight who will be the first to tell me the name given to the franking on the stamp itself? email me at cddstamps@gmail.com and please include your mailing address.

Enjoy your stamps.. Best wishes.. Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!