cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Saturday, January 29, 2022

Hello,  one more from the 1938 issue today.  Although still a pictorial definitive it is of a different design, with the Kings head prominent in the center of the stamp rather than in a smaller oval to the right or left of the design feature.

In this case the design shows the Nile Railway Bridge at Nipon Falls in Uganda. That is the title in the  catalogue but it is also called the Jinja Bridge at Nipon Falls.   The first issue of this design was on a George V issue in 1935, then this issue with George VI in 1938.

From a philatelic perspective you must check the perforations of any copy you have  or that you are thinking of buying. There are three different perfs ranging from £3.25 for a mint copy to £160. I won’t bore you with the details as they can be looked up easily enough. Similarly Used can be 10c  to £11.

As the for the bridge, well I cannot find any history to it which is a shame as I was looking forward to reading about it since it was used on both the GV and GVI stamps. All I can find are details about the new bridge that was opened in 2018.  Please correct me if I have missed something. 

Enjoy your stamps and all they bring us.         Michael cddstamps.com

and  with thanks to my friend at  British Commonwealth Album  here   -  and you might enjoy a visit to his online store  the Used Stamp Collector here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!