cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Monday, July 08, 2013

Canada 1930's





Hi, I think I have a bias for Canada but all the same I hope you agree they produced some beautiful stamps over the years. Certainly collectible and worth having in one album to enjoy every now and again.  I have just  listed some stock from the 1930's to my Bidstart Store    check out http://www.bidstart.com/shop.php?keywords=canada&category=0&userid=105545&advsrc=&submitsearch= if you want to see some really beautiful stamps.

The first stamp I show above is one example. Issued in 1937 for George VI Coronation.  What a lovely cancel. The second stamp was issued in 1934 to commemorate the 4th century of the discovery of Canada and shows Jacques Cartier.  Cartier was a French explore of Breton origin who claimed what is now Canada for France.  
He  was the first European to describe and map the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the shores of the Saint Lawrence River, which he named the Country of Canadas after the Iroquois names for the two big settlements he saw at Stadacona (now Quebec City and at Hochelaga (now Montreal Island)  
Hope you like to see these.

Best wishes.. Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!