cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Thursday, June 11, 2009

more on IYA - this time Serbia issue


Hello, some weeks ago I was writing on IYA 2009 and showing an issue a day or every few days, in alphabetical order. I digressed from that after a while..... got bored I guess..... and there are other sites / blogs out there listing the stamps..... boring as hell mind you as they just list the issues.... but hey, why repeat I thought.


Anyway today in the mail I received, from a collector in Serbia, this lovely cover. Thank you.. if you are reading you know who you are. I really appreciate the stamps and cards and this cover. So kind of you. And so I am showing it because I think it worth showing. To me stamps are not just stamps to be looked at. They have to say something meaningful and hopefully not too trival.


These stamps are brilliant. If you study them or read them you will understand why, and full credit to the Serbia Postal Authority for such a brilliant design, including the Cover design. The 46 din stamp shows the goddess Urania, she is the protector of astronomy, along with Galileo's telescope and the Milky Way in the background. The 50 din stamp shows the nebula Horse's Head in the background and the radio telescope. How interesting and how well portrayed. Well I think so. Your view?


Or perhaps you prefer the style of the Isle of Man stamps I wrote about. Hey, we are all different :-) Still waiting to see the GB issue.... :-)


Enjoy your stamps ........... Best wishes .............. Michael

2 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger AP said...

This is one of my favourite IYA issues too; I like the way the IYA logo has been incorporated into the FDC design.

As you say, all done but GB now. I've not even seen a preview of a design yet but I'm not holding my breath!

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger cddstamps said...

Andy, Thanks. yes and Royal Mail have some really good competition from many of the Europa counties who have issued some really stunning stamps for this series.

Michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!