cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Friday, January 02, 2009

More on Robert Burns

I wrote about the Royal Mail Robert Burns issue a few weeks ago and showed one of the new stamps that is being released in the Miniature Sheet.
Here is the MS. Yes I think it is rather nice.
What I am surprised about is the reuse of a previous stamp design for the “a Man’s a Man” Ist class stamp. I guess it fits, but to me there shows little to no originality when a previous design is reused. Maybe that is a compliment though. I guess it is. :-)

Anyway as you can see, the Miniature Sheet contains the four Scotland country definitives in a se-tenant block, and the two new 1st class stamps.

I read some good sites and one I recommend you have a look at if you don’t already, occasionally, at least, is Norvic Philatelics
Great site, and you can see more about this issue there and, taking Ian’s wise advice I add that the stamp image is copyright of the Royal Mail.

Now, for the punch line. :-) what was the issue that the “a Man’s a Man” design is copied from? First correct answer will receive some free stamps which I will mail from Korea before I leave here next week. And please… for all you very very very smart people out there.. yes I am having fun. :-) A good way to start 2009 don’t you think.

Enjoy. …….. Michael

3 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the main reason to reuse a previous design is to avoid having to pay for a new one.

--Larry

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger cddstamps said...

Ha ha..thanks Larry.. I think the real reason was because the 1996 issue was a Robert Burns issue ( Death Anniversary) and this nicely kept to the theme used then.

Michael

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Ian - Norvic said...

The left-hand stamp isn't a re-use, it's just similar to previous designs.

The 1996 designs showed a mouse, a rose, highland dancers and Sir William Wallace. The current stamp shows Burns - Robert Burns turning up a mouse in her nest with his plough.

The main problem the Scots have with the new MS is precisely that - it is a miniature sheet and to use stamps celebrating their bard they have to shell out £2.66 for two Burns and 4 ordinary stamps. This is because Royal Mail Stamps' policy is to make each stamp issue have a selling price of around £3 - most sets being around £3.40.

What the (the Scots) would have preferred is two or more Burns stamps sold singly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!