cddstamps on stamps

my thoughts on stamps, stamp collecting, philately in general and maybe a few other topics !

Thursday, December 11, 2008

just two stamps tonight.

I read about the Robert Burns issue from Royal Mail that will be released in January to celebrate 250 years since he was born. One of the stamps being issued is shown.

Also I recall there was an issue back in 1966 ...what was that for?

I don't remember. See also scan. How designs change. But same picture??? just the 2009 stamp is airbrushed.... or am I being cynical.

I'll be away for a few days. Have a great weekend... Enjoy your stamps.. Michael

3 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Machin Man said...

The picture is a reproduction after A chalk drawing by Skirving.

I think the 1966 (25th Janury)commemoration was 200 years after his death. 1759 - 1796.

Could be wrong.

Roy

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger cddstamps said...

Roy, Hi .. that would make it 1996..???? see below :-)

I still have not worked it out to be honest.. read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns

the is one quote... note they don't say why the first issue was released

" The Royal Mail has twice issued postage stamps commemorating Burns. In 1966, two stamps were issued, priced fourpence and 1 shilling and threepence, both carrying Burns's portrait.

In 1996, an issue commemorating the bicentenary of his death comprised four stamps, priced 19 pence, 25 pence, 41 pence and 60 pence, and included quotes from Burns's poems".

Merry Christmas.. Michael

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Machin Man said...

1966 - You are right Michael. 1759 - 1796 can not be a bi centenary of his birth or death.

36 years was not a long life.

Perhaps the issue was something to do with an anniversary of his country of of birth. Scotland

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to zoom in on my visitor map!
Click to zoom in on my visitor map!